The Headliners Foundation of Texas annually awards scholarships to outstanding undergraduate communication students and college journalists attending universities across the state of Texas in order to promote excellence in journalism.The Foundation awarded over $60,000 in scholarships for 2016-2017 school year, with individual awards ranging from $2,000-$6,000 annually.
- Applicants must demonstrate an active interest in writing and journalism and the talent for and the commitment to journalism.
- Students must be enrolled for at least nine hours of course work under their degree plan for the academic school year.
- Internships and other professional activities pursued by students must be journalism related.
- Exhibit a good writing style void of grammar, spelling, punctuation mistakes
Eligibility is determined per semester, and scholarships are funded by semester.
The online application includes:
1. General Information
- Personal and educational information and summary of honors.
- University transcript: Upload a valid copy of your university transcript. The transcript may be printed from online record; an official transcript is not required.
2. Essay (no more than 300 words).
A statement of purpose essay that should include reasons why the applicant will pursue a career in journalism and his/her career goals. Essay should also reflect student’s interest in current events, social or political issues or a preferred genre of journalism. It is recommended that you use the essay as an opportunity to differentiate yourself from other applicants.
3. Letter of recommendation
A letter of recommendation from student’s teacher, employer or mentor is required. A list of other references/endorsements will be accepted, but is not required.
4. Work Samples
At least two but no more than four samples. Describe your role in determining and producing/creating the subject matter by uploading a short summary description page accompanying the samples, which should be uploaded as pdf or jpg or URL links. The scholarship judging process is competitive, so consider submitting your best portfolio samples in the application.
- For video samples, please upload your examples to YouTube, Vimeo or a similar video presentation site.
- For audio files, please upload in a compressed format such as Mp3 and do not exceed 10 MB per example.
5. Financial information of student and parents.
Please contact our Executive Director should you have questions about the criteria or application process.
Click here for the application for submission.